Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week 5: Positive Time Outs


I believe that one of the most important life skills we can teach children is how to regulate their emotions.  My oldest has an enormous, sensitive bundle of emotions, so this has been something we have had to work and work and work and work on.

This last week (you'll notice this post is a week late!) we have been trying to focusing on reminding him to go to his room when his emotions are starting to get the better of him.

I usually try to notice when he's starting to get wound up-- before he's completely lost his mind but when he's consistently being naughty/aggressive/disobedient-- and suggest that he find a toy or a book and go to his room for some alone time.  

Sometimes he won't go on his own, but I have found that if I guide him (read: calmly but forcibly carry/lock) to his room, he'll settle down into a groove and come out much happier and better-behaved in 20-30 minutes.

I have read suggestions about helping your child create a special cozy spot where they can go to regroup. I haven't worked up the energy for that yet-- particularly since I can see anything like that getting destroyed pretty quickly-- but I think it's a nice idea, particularly for lower-key kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment